Arlo security cameras are some of the best in the industry and installation is a breeze. Here are seven easy steps to help you install your new Arlo camera like a pro.
How to set up Arlo cameras
- Download the Arlo application
- Turn on your Arlo camera
- Connect your Arlo camera to Wi-Fi
- Place your Arlo camera
- Adjust your Arlo camera’s view
- Test your Arlo camera’s motion detection
- Arm your Arlo camera
Download the Arlo app
The Arlo app guides you through the setup process and allows you to adjust the camera settings. You cannot install a camera without the app. Once you’ve downloaded the app, create an account and start adding your first camera by choosing your model from the list.
Access your Arlo account from a web browser: After setting up the cameras in the Arlo app, you can also control them from the Arlo web portal in a web browser. The portal works like the app but is a better option for those who need a larger screen.
Turn on your Arlo camera
When you begin the process of setting up an Arlo wireless camera, follow the instructions for installing the battery into the camera housing. The battery has slots on the bottom to prevent you from installing it upside down.
After inserting the battery, close the camera body and check the light on the front. If the light is orange, connect it to the included charging cable. If it is flashing blue, you can skip charging and move on to the next step.
Powering Arlo Video Doorbells: Both wired and wireless Arlo video doorbell models work with the existing doorbell wiring, which requires turning off your doorbell circuit, removing the old button, and connecting the wires to the new Arlo doorbell. It’s not as easy as plugging in a power cord or charging a battery, but the extra effort is worth it.
Connect your Arlo camera to Wi-Fi
Once your camera is turned on, follow the instructions in the Arlo app to connect it to your Wi-Fi network. Enter your wireless network name and password and the app will create a QR code for the camera to scan. Wait for the camera to beep after scanning the code. Please note that Arlo cameras do not work with 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks. Instead, you will need a 2.4 GHz network.
Optional: Connect to an Arlo base station if you already have an Arlo base station, you can connect your Arlo camera directly to it instead of connecting it to your home wireless network. This has the added benefit of allowing local storage of video, so you don’t have to pay for a cloud storage plan. Most of the newer Arlo cameras do not require a base station, but it is a must for models like the Arlo Pro 3 and Arlo Ultra 2.
Place your Arlo camera
Mount your Arlo camera about 2-3 meters off the ground. This is the best vantage point for capturing video footage and detecting motion, without being too difficult to reach.
- Rack: The Arlo Essential Indoor and the Arlo Q (its predecessor) are the only Arlo cameras with built-in mounts that work well when the cameras are placed on a rack. While most other Arlo cameras can be placed on a shelf, you won’t have many options for pointing them at the action without a mount.
- The Arlo Essential indoor mount also functions as a wall mount. Use the mounting kit provided with the camera.
- Magnetic mount: You can use a magnetic mount with any Arlo Ultra or Arlo Pro camera. This mount attaches to the wall with a single screw, a drywall plug, and a plastic dowel that clips into the back.
- Outdoor mounting: Use one of Arlo’s outdoor mounts for added security if you are placing a camera outdoors. These mounts use a screw to secure the camera in place. They cannot be easily removed from the wall, unlike magnetic mounts. Arlo also recommends using these brackets if you need to place a camera at a height greater than 1.8 meters.
Adjust your Arlo camera’s view
While most Arlo cameras have a wide field of view to capture tons of activity, you can adjust the camera to get a better view, allowing for more accurate motion detection, notifications, and recording.
Camera positioning: With Arlo’s camera positioning setting, you can adjust the camera’s view in near real-time with very little delay. This setting tells the camera to send video quickly (usually at a lower quality) so you don’t have to wait as long as the live view to catch up on your settings.
- Go to the Settings menu in the Arlo app.
- Select My Devices and choose the camera you want to adjust.
- Select Device Utilities and then select Camera Positioning.
- Adjust the camera while watching the Arlo app to make sure you see all the areas you want.
Test your Arlo camera’s motion detection
Arlo cameras rely exclusively on motion detection to know when to start recording a video clip. You can test the effectiveness of motion detection and adjust its sensitivity using the Arlo application:
- Go to the Settings menu in the Arlo app.
- Select My Devices and choose the camera you are testing.
- Select Device Utilities and then select Motion Detection Test.
- In this mode, the camera’s LED light flashes orange when motion is detected.
- Scroll to the area you want the camera to monitor to see if it captures all your activity.
- Adjust the motion sensitivity slider if the camera is too sensitive or not sensitive enough.
- The sensitivity settings are not universal: adjust the arming modes to suit your needs.
Arm your Arlo
Arming an Arlo camera prompts you to start sending notifications and recording video (if you have an Arlo Secure subscription or have set up local storage). It’s also a great way to protect your privacy. We recommend arming the camera every time you leave the house or go to bed.
Arlo offers five activation modes:
- Disabled: no recording and no notifications.
- Armed – manually armed using the application
- Schedule – allows you to set specific recording times for the camera, especially useful at night.
- Geofencing: the camera turns on and off depending on your location.
- Custom mode – you can set the camera’s reaction when armed.
Can I use my Arlo camera without a base station?
Newer Arlo security cameras, such as the Arlo Essential, Arlo Pro 4, and Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight, do not require a base station. However, you do need a base station on 4K models like the Arlo Ultra 2 and older models like the Arlo Pro 3 and Arlo Pro 2. You can use a base station with any Arlo camera to add local video storage.
Can I use Arlo without a subscription?
Yes, you can use Arlo cameras without a subscription. These features are free:
- Live video viewing (but no cloud storage).
- Two-way audio
- Notifications (but not smart notifications)
- Local storage (if using a base station)
Can I add other users to my Arlo camera?
You can add other users through the Arlo application:
- From the Settings menu: select Grant Access and click the Add option.
- Enter the name and email address of the person you want to add to your Arlo camera.
- The new user will receive an email to verify access to their account in the Arlo application.
- You can customize permissions based on the needs and responsibilities of each user.
- If you have multiple cameras, you can limit access to specific cameras.
Why won’t my Arlo camera connect?
Arlo cameras do not connect for several reasons:
- The camera is too far from your wireless router.
- The camera is not on the same network as your mobile device during setup.
- The camera is incompatible with your 5 GHz wireless network. Make sure you are using a 2.4 GHz wireless network.
- The camera does not have the current credentials for your network. Make sure you have used the correct network name and password.
- The camera did not scan the QR code correctly when setting up Wi-Fi. Scan the code again and listen to the buzzer sound.
- The camera was disconnected before being connected to the network. Press the sync button to restart the sync process.
Leave a Reply